Dear TEI-L,

Those who care about interoperability and interchange could read with profit http://conferences.idealliance.org/extreme/html/2002/Usdin01/EML2002Usdin01.html .

My experience with the TEI Guidelines is very different from John's (although we served together on Council): in my experience the Guidelines often provide alternative ways to represent the same information, that is, alternative encodings that have no clear, stable informational difference. In my experience, the TEI, in an effort to be respectful of its users, has often neglected what I think is a responsibility to guide, that is, to assert that given two ways of encoding the same information, one will be recommended as best practice (and supported in unmodified, off-the-shelf TEI) and the other won't.

The reduction of alternatives (by recommending one and only one, even if chosen arbitrarily) is beneficial only when there is truly no meaningful informational difference, and making that decision is often difficult. On the other hand, I have heard Council members refuse to make that type of decision not because they perceive an informational difference, but because "we don't want to tell people what to do with their data." Please, tell me what to do with my data that will make it easier to interchange and interoperate! TEI is extensible, so taking seriously what I think is Council's responsibility to dictate best practice doesn't prevent people who really, really want to do something another way from making their own decision and remaining conformant. It does, though, reduce fragmentation in the community because users who don't have a strong preference for one particular solution will most naturally be guided to do things the same way.

Many of my documents are manuscript descriptions and bibliographies, where the ability to query a union catalog formed by merging multiple independent encoding projects is a high priority for users. I'd be very happy to be able to trust that the developers of TEI projects in my field will encode this type of information the same way I will, and that our encodings will differ only when we're encoding different information, and not just because we have different arbitrary preferences. I don't care what that one way of doing a particular something is, but when Council gives me choices that aren't rooted in informational differences, they think they're giving me freedom, but they're also giving me fragmentation and isolation.

Best,

David