Marjorie,

I was definitely in earnest. Of course, I recognize a great deal of
exciting work is built upon massive data sets and text collections.
I'm just less interested in that work and more interested in intensive
scrutiny of smaller data sets / collections; again, something we might
call the nanotechnology of digital humanities.

And I absolutely endorse the idea of encoding as an artform. There are
Penguin encodings and Kelmscott encodings; I prefer the latter, though
I have use for the former as well.

As for text being the natural medium of humanities research, let us
not forget that TEI/XML encoding is human-readable text. And even if
we accept that text is the natural medium of humanities research, I
believe it would be impossible to argue that text is the natural
medium of digital humanities research. It is one of many, but not the
only, and perhaps not the natural one.

John