The answer to this dichotomy is, as always, somewhere in between these
two extremes (markup-as-free-art-form and
markup-as-bare-minimum-interoperability). And I think the strength of
the TEI as designed is that it strikes a very good balance between the
two, most of the time.

I think most projects that use TEI responsibly, and with an eye on the
good practice guides and guidelines, create documents that are
interchangeable to a basic level that I think satisfies Marjorie's and
Google's desire for big data. (Within subsets of the TEI, such as the
EpiDoc, there are large bodies of data with even more interchangeability
than that.)

But on top of this basic level of markup, there are many projects, some
but by no means all incompatible with one another, that include much
deeper and more expressive markup, encoding the theory of text, as
Martin says, and beautifully constructed as John says, none of which
makes the XML document any less interchangeable than those with only the
bare minimum of markup.

So long as we continue to push for best practice and keep the
possibilities for wild variance down to those places where they are (a)
really needed for full expressiveness, and (b) don't change the expected
meaning of basic concepts like paragraphs and names and object
descriptions, then I think we can have our cake and eat it too.

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL