Hi,
> > But it turns out that things like<msItemStruct class="#nrss_type_sermon
> > #nrss_author_ecclesial">  are invalid because of the @class value.
>
> Are you sure? Looking at the definition of this attribute, I see that it
> is defined (like other such attributes) in the ODD as
>
> >  <datatype minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="unbounded">
> >         <ref xmlns="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0"
name="data.pointer"/>
> >       </datatype>

Well, our TEI P5 v. clean schema doesn't like it - also :
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-msItemStruct.html
and
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-msItem.html
defined it directly (so, the attribute class does not seem to be in an
attribute class) and without rng:group:

<rng:element name="msItemStruct">
<rng:optional>
  <rng:attribute name="class">
   <rng:ref name="data.code"/>
  </rng:attribute>
 </rng:optional>

> so its value *is* repeatable.
Hmm, only if this was recently changed and the web version is not current.

Thanks for the help as below; I guess we can then safely point to taxonomy,
and I can - for now - fix our schema to allow repeatable data.code.

Best,
Tomaž

http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-textClass.html
> > defines it
> > <textClass>  (text classification) groups information which describes
the
> > nature or topic of a text in terms of a standard classification scheme,
> > thesaurus, etc.
> > I would then imagine that each text gets only one textClass; in which
case,
> > how could you have more than one value for @class, and what is the point
of
> > having @class anyway, given that all msDesc belong to the same<TEI>?