From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 3:10 PM
To: Birnbaum, David J
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: TEI interoperability and interchange

David,

Have you considered writing a "profile" of TEI that limits choices for manuscript descriptions and bibliographies?

Profiling the TEI schema would allow you to "tighten" it up and yet remain "interchangeable" with other TEI projects.

Extracting/refactoring the Guidelines to reflect your choices would take some work but once done, you would have a documented profile of the TEI with (hopefully), illustrations from your particular area of interest.

Freely granting what I am suggesting is easier said than done but in terms of attracting new members, it might not be a bad idea. I would be a "new" member but I would be much more interested in manuscripts than say poetry, at least from the eras likely to form a project at the TEI.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: Thanks for pointing out Tommie Usdin's keynote! For the record, I deeply disagree with her view of semantics.

--
Patrick Durusau
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net