Gabby,

I appreciate the point that Elena and you both make--that while the sequence
of events have been explained, the real sense of what happened has not.
What I can say, as a newcomer to the situation myself, and as someone who is
trying to move things forward, is that the account of recent events that I
presented is a statement of fact that encompasses all that the parties
involved could unanimously endorse.  Beyond what is represented in my
statement, there are differences of opinion about why things happened, and
even about what happened.  Now, we could decide that the best thing is to go
back and adjudicate these matters--who was right, and who was wrong--but
honestly, I think the point here is the organization, not the individuals
who happen to constitute its board (or its council, or even its membership)
at the moment.  If I have to choose between a broad and open discussion
about what should be the future of the organization, and a personally and
professionally fraught process of assigning blame to individuals, it seems
clear that the former is more constructive.  In the end, if the organization
knows and articulates where it wants to go and what it is about, it will
attract the leaders it should have.  I regard it as my main task over the
next few months to promote and synthesize and implement ideas about the
future direction of the TEI, and I really appreciate the time and effort
that has already gone into this thread on both TEI-L and Twitter, including
your own.

John