I think that the point is that the examples reported by Brett represent
alternatives where, while there are a few added proposals, there isn't any
clear decision on which of the alternatives have been accepted and which,
by consequence, have been deleted.
So that's why the genetic group has suggested a sequence of <segs> and an
<alt/> element (as suggested by Gerrit and Lou), and avoiding to use
decided which was the right choice, he for sure did not wanted that they
were all present at once. We called these "additions to the document" but
not "additions to the text".
The problem of the encoding being, of course, that <seg> does not have a
@place so we need a @rend="above" or similar.

(By the way: the presence of alternatives is one of the reasons why Daniel
Ferrer has declared that a draft is not a text, but a protocol to make a
text)
Best,
Elena