There are other approaches to that 20% problem. One I like is that you define your ODD
which adds the new "module", with all your own lovely elements making the textual
distinctions you adore. But in your ODD you also define the mapping from them to
80%TEI, so that anyone can derive a standardized/bastardized/emasculated version
from your document with a documented and stable process. This avoids those multiple
namespaces in the original XML, and avoids the problem of the stylesheet developer not
knowing whether to ignore the foreign elements, or just take their text content.

"Everyone's a winner, baby, that's the truth" (OK, I show my age)

The "when overlap markup comes..." argument reminds me of the fearsome "AI technologies"
which are going to be with us "any year now", starting in c. 1975.
--
Sebastian Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente