On 23 Aug 2011, at 22:03, Wendell Piez wrote:

> It's just that others, I hear, want
> some confidence, on finding a TEI document in the wild, that they can
> drop it into a TEI system and get decent results.

It all comes down to the meaning of "in the wild", I suppose. If you pick
a random document from my filestore whose name ends in .xml,
and which starts <TEI, then yes, all bets are off. If you click on the
"download 80%TEI version" on my website, or visit http://example.com/texts/156/tei,
then it's up to me to make sure that what I expose is interchangeable. I
may also make available http://example.com/texts/156/teifull, of course.

But we agree (golly, is that the first time?) on this.

What bothers me about interchanging mixed namespace TEI XML
is the tacit assumption if I meet <XXX xmlns="http://example.com/wendell/NS"><ZZZ>x</ZZZ><YYY>y</YYY>z</XXX>
I can follow a reliable  procedure to ignore your markup which I don't grok.
But what _is_ the algorithm there?
--
Sebastian Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente