 > It may be a limit of my own imagination, but I have never been able to
 > think of using XML as a locus for critical rhetoric as anything other
 > than a parody of our field resembling what I'm sure some think of when
 > they first hear the term "Digital Humanities."

I did a project many years ago where I marked up the metre of a book of
Larkin's poems, and then rendered them into HTML with different colours
for different metrical feet. The colour patterns were (not always, but
sometimes) very revealing, in ways that wouldn't have been anywhere near
so apparent just by reading. That's as simple a project as could be, but
markup is the perfect tool for it.

Cheers,
Martin