Dear All:

I cannot help thinking that requiring more information about what happened
in the interchange between Martin Mueller and the TEI Board, all of whom are
dear friends of mine with whom I have worked closely and very, very
productively -- I cannot help thinking that that is really a witch hunt.
Please, let's move on.

In this string, as well as the future of TEI-string, metaphors are being
mobilized to speak about the TEI that are worth heeding and thinking about
from a theoretical perspective.  I'm remembering Alan Liu's call to include
cultural studies thinking in digital humanities, and I believe that this
wide-ranging and productive discussion.  "Basterdization," "emasculation,"
"exceptionalism," and "elimination" all indicate some kind of drive for
purity.

I agree with everything that is being said, or disagree as the case may be,
but that's not the point: I'm just wondering to myself what it means that
what is said needs to be said in these ways.

Finally, I wanted to address one point made by Julia:

> 1. Work harder on eliminating the problem David identifies, of
> multiple truly equivalent ways of doing the same thing. In cases where
> the alternatives aren't truly equivalent and are all important, the
> documentation should make clear which to use in which circumstances

This point makes sense, but, I want to recall a statement made by Umberto
Ecco about natural language: "Only that which can be used to lie can be used
to tell the truth."  It may be that two synonymous tags could eventually
find distinctive functions--through the process that S.T. Coleridge calls
"desynonymy," that happens in natural language.  The TEI may function so
beautifully to the very extent that there are some uncontrollable
ambiguities.

Best, Laura

Laura Mandell
Director, HumHub