well, there are quite a few TEI-based websites which do more or less
what you are talking about. Maybe it would be a good thing to do some
sort of survey?  Of course, they will use different dialects of the TEI,
and entirely different software architectures too, but that's part of
the joy of the TEI!

just to get you started, here are just a few suggestions of things to
look at: