On 24 Aug 2011, at 23:14, Wendell Piez wrote:

> Hm. This may be true, but I am troubled by your characterization of
> those who don't make the grade here as not "respectable". There may be
> reasons why a project doesn't do this apart from moral lapses. Maybe
> they don't have the resources. Maybe they don't have the know-how, or
> not yet. Maybe they have other priorities that intervene.

Well, I have to beware of the language I use, but surely any project
other than a throw-away one-off will take the documentation of what it has
done as one of its highest priorities? because that's all it boils down to.

> * "Blind interchange" at present, or even something more like it, is
> hindered by the permissiveness and size of the current TEI-all tag set
> (all the 550-odd elements in the http://www.tei-c.org/ns/1.0 namespace).

I dont think the _number_ of elements matters, its the permissiveness,
and the usage styles. The same as it ever was in any markup scheme.
My classic bugbear is <note>, which appears absolutely everywhere,
with the most amazing content inside it, used to encode every feature under the sun.

cf amusing tweet from Azaroth42:

> In brainstorming mode, what I'm essentially suggesting is that the first
> problem can be dealt with by deploying a much more constrained tag set
> specifically to meet the interchange requirement (if not perfectly, then
> at least better than at present).

do you mean smaller tag set, or with more constrained content models for
common things?

more importantly, can you (or anyone) start with examples of tei_all
texts which are unuseable in practice without the To80% stage?
practically, which elements or modules (collections of elements) are
candidates for moving to the non-80% setup?

(its hard to avoid emotive words in this. "core" has all sorts of baggage....)
--
Sebastian Rahtz
Head of Information and Support Group, Oxford University Computing Services

Sólo le pido a Dios
que el futuro no me sea indiferente