Hi,

Have been too busy to follow all the discussions closely, but...

The nice thing with something like Microdata (or RDFa) with HTML is that since you are committing to at least use some ambiguous structural markup like div or span, the browser and all tools like CKEditor knows how to render it, it can be styled (including being hidden), etc., but it makes no commitments to semantics until you give it an @itemtype namespace.

Some tools might still strip out this semantic information (like some wikis, discussion forums, etc.), since safe sites white-list allowable HTML elements and attributes while they may not yet be unaware that these new HTML5 attributes are harmless to allow and no one has gotten around to submitting a bug report to enable them), but with an increasing awareness of Microdata, tools should be increasingly enabling their use virtually anywhere on the web, especially for more well-supported projects.

(The only reason I can think of for sites not allowing them is for fear of semantic data spam if people started adding hidden semantic code, hoping that their search-engine detectable phrases would show up in someone's searches, though at this stage too few people would be using this to make it likely, I would think.)

With this approach, there is no question about how the processor should handle an unrecognized namespace: it is completely ignored since it is known to be a semantic namespace rather than an application-based one. The only way it is used would be by client-side tools or harvesters which exposed it to searches, etc., and such tools could be made to interest the widest development support because they could be designed to be namespace-agnostic. If you want to search for the TEI namespace on Google, go ahead and do that. Or likewise with your own custom namespace.

Best wishes,
Brett