John,

I'm not sure what this would do for the use case I put forward. Can you
elaborate?

To answer Syd's question: If you look at the snippet of code that I
included, you'll see that we use @seq pretty much as one would expect, I
think--to "[assign] a sequence number related to the order in which the
encoded features carrying this attribute are believed to have occurred."
Lack of such this attribute on <alt>, by the way, is another thing that
threw me off its scent.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm off to file a request in SourceForge.

Brett

Brett Barney
Research Associate Professor
Center for Digital Research in the Humanities, University of
Nebraska-Lincoln
http://cdrh.unl.edu