In einer eMail vom 28.8.2011 22:13:25 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt

> [...] Once upon a time we
> might have supposed an HTML 'dl' would be assigned (and only assigned)
> to definition lists, and blockquote to block quotes. But that moment was
> fairly short; finally a dl is what a dl does, and likewise for
> blockquotes and the rest. HTML, notwithstanding efforts to get it to do
> more, is rather like SVG or XSL-FO, a tag set more or less meaningless
> outside its own application domain. [...]

Isn't it usual in human activities to use all menas for whatever purposes?
And in writing or printing jobs, I think, this is even more likely to happen
than otherwhere. F.e. take a look at our national hero Goethe and his
strange (mis?)use of the typographical conventions to exponate speakers in a
dramatic text. Preparing a garden scene at the beginning of "Faust II", a
maskerade scene, after a series of figures or groups of figures mentioned as
"Gärtnerinnen", "Olivenzweig mit Früchten", "Ährenkranz (golden)" etc., suddenly
he exposes the next group of verses via the headline "Ausforderung"*, and
the 7th verse of this group is split to introduce a new group of masks, the
"Rosenknospen", natural plants as opposed to artificial ones
("Phantasiekranz", "Phantasiestrauß").
http://books.google.de/books?id=HQYoAAAAYAAJ&pg=RA1-PA26&lpg=RA1-PA26&
dq=goethe+%22mir+am+herzen+platz+verg%C3%B6nnte%22&source=bl&ots=ZaQI0U-pc6&
sig=_QXadE87Esv6Vq-xXXnZ3CsTcdY&hl=de&ei=YHldTsLAF8WG-wa11IzmAQ&sa=X&
oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false
Goehte's Werke. Vollständige Ausgabe letzter Hand. Bd. 41, p 26. This is
the first posthum print of "Faust II", but it conforms to a prior printing of
the scene controlled by the author himself.

It's quite simple to transmit the intended 'Rätsel' to the reader via HTML,
but I guess that's challenging to disentangle the 'semantics' of the
headlines here, isn't it?

BTW, the TEI book longed for should contain a chapter "Dirty Tricks", not
least to honor Donald Knuth and his deep insights in the muddle of
typesetting.

Herbert

* In mss. occurs "Ausfoderung" too. - The mss. situation for this
"Ausforderung"/"Rosenknospen" verses is rich because they were vendored in isolation
fpr humanitarian purposes in the years after the anti-Napoleon war. And in
the archive of the printing house there is remained the ms. for the first
print in the beginning of the 1820s - the situation equals to the print of 1832
shown above via the link to GoogleBooks. Eventually the Genetic Faust
Working Group can show the ms. situation on the TEI Wiki?