--- On Fri, 8/19/11, Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Okay, so I am now convinced that
> Basque is not related to anything else in
> Europe, or to Dene-Caucasian, or even to Borean.
> Basque is originally a
> dialect spoken by the Ancient Astronauts that was picked up
> by a tribe of
> neanderthals living in the area where they landed.
> Later a tribe of
> Cro-Magnons came along and killed off all the males, but
> kept the females as
> wives and nursemaids, resulting in their children speaking
> a creolized
> version of Ancient Astronautese, which after 10,000 years
> of sound change
> resulted in modern Basque.
>
> Adam who thinks Basque is ever so slightly odd

(: Actually, Basque is a dialect of Dutch, as proven many years ago on
sci.lang:

<quote>

>> >Can someone explain the similarities between Etruscan and Albanian?

>> Which similarities?  Name one.
>You named (at leas I saw) some of them:
>Albanian    Etruscan
>Sheroj              Sren
>Due         Tva
>Idhnak              Ikhnac
>Tra         Thra
>Dzak                Thk
>Otherwise, I did not understand, what you were comparing.

*I* wasn't comparing, so help me, Zacharie Mayani was.  I was merely
pointing out the absurdity of some of his claims.  Reading the book,
one realizes that his method consists of:

1. take an Etruscan inscription
2. look up the words in an Albanian dictionary, using a fuzzy search
   (d=dh=t=th=z, etc.; add vowels at will)
3. see if some sense can be put into the string of words you've found
4. if unsuccessful, break up the words into smaller pieces and goto 2.
5. if we still miss some words to complete the sentence, add a few
   "borrowings" from Latin, Greek, Osco-Umbrian etc.
6. if we have a sentence, publish it, else goto 1.

OK, let's prove that Basque is related to Dutch.  I swear I took a
sentence at random from an introductory text, and simply applied the
method outlined above:

Eguraldi ona dagoenez, dendarik denda joan gaitezke.

<egur> is Dutch "eekhoorn", squirrel (Old Germanic "aikur").  <aldi>
is "altijd", always.  <ona> might be a preposition "om, op", on,
around.  <da-go-en> is "dakgoten", roof-gutter, and <ez> is Dutch
"is", is.  <dendarik denda> sounds onomatopaeic, like Dutch
"dender-de-dender", <joan> sounds like Dutch "gaan", to go, and
<gaitezke> is "geiten", dial. "geites", goats, with postfixed <-que>,
"and, too", borrowed from Latin.  Thus: "The squirrel is always on the
roof-gutters, 'dender-de-dender' he goes, and the goats too."

I won't "decipher" the second sentence in the textbook, because it
contains the Basque phrase <behar nuke>, obviously a cognate of Dutch
"B.H's neuken", to fuck bra's: those Basques!

Of course, what the sentence really means in Basque is "Because the
weather is good, we can go shopping".  Note that the "translation" of
<joan> was right on the spot!  You can't always be wrong.
(Oh, and <behar nuke> really means "I would need").

==
Miguel Carrasquer Vidal

<unquote>