On 2011-08-20 04:47, Herman Miller wrote:
> Few languages would need all 10 letters, but it's not uncommon to
> need 9. Swedish is an example of a language that can be seen as
> having 9 vowels (with length variation). Here's one way of using
> the vowel circle to represent Swedish vowels (IPA characters as
> used in the Wikipedia article "Swedish language"):

Actually some accents of Swedish, including mine, have
up to twelve vowel phonemes, length not counted. Mine
also has an [æ] which occurs as a free variant in words
having /a/ OR /ɛ/! I have the following vowel phonemes:

i   y   ʉ   u

e   ø   ɵ
ɛ       ɞ

a           ɑ

All of these occur long and short although short /ʉ/
and long /a/ are rare and long /ɵ/ is restricted to a
single lexical item. All have both long and short
monophthong allophones. All except /ɵ/ and /ɞ/ have
diphthong allophones in some contexts, but these are
conditioned and most speakers aren't even aware they
are diphthongs so you can hardly get away with
diphthongal spellings to eke out the sign inventory. In
short: don't let the Swedish academic phoneticians'
chauvinism for the accent cultivated at Uppsala
University fool you; most people don't speak it!

/bpj