2011/9/6 MorphemeAddict <[log in to unmask]>

> Or ignore the idea of 'native' language, and just concentrate on fluency.

This seems to be Wikipedia's approach (which adds another dimention to this
discussion). On the User pages, one can add a Bable Table to indicate in
which languages one can contribute:

N:   Native speaker
5:   Professional proficiency
4:   Near Native
3:   Advanced level, can use the lnaguge without a problem
2:   Intermediate level
1:   Basic

So I would be:
N : Afrikaans, English
2 : Dutch (casual self-study)
1 : French (formal study)

2011/9/6 Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

> --- On Mon, 9/5/11, Sam Stutter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> [...] I've always
> understood L1 to be one's first home language, for me, English. Any
> language that I learned later (at school for example) and use proficiently
> is L2. L3 and L4 are simply less and less proficient languages.

This is how I understood the terms.
However, I since birth, I have spoken to my mother in Afrikaans; English to
my father and to my siblings it depends on which parent is present. If both,
or no parents are present, I used to use English and only recently noticed
that I've switched to Afrikaans.

In this case, I would use L1 twice:
L1s : Afrikaans, English
L2 : French
L3 : Dutch (I would put French higher, becase it is formally recognised that
I study it, despite me being less confident in French)

> Or maybe labels are just a crude attempt to model a complex reality
> which cannot capture every edge case.

In the South African school system, having 2 National languages is
compulsory, one of which must be L1.
One would either do two "Home Languages," or
one "Home Language" and a "First Additional language."
At school, French was called my "Second Additional language." Perhapls these
are better lables?

- Iuhan