On 7 September 2011 09:52, Michael Everson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 7 Sep 2011, at 08:08, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:
>
> > If you teach your child your conlang, even if you speak it exclusively
> with them, they will eventually
> > realise that you also speak the same language as your spouse, and from
> that point on will refuse to carry on speaking your conlang with you (that's
> what happened to the guy who tried to teach Klingon to his kid). Children
> are very much adepts of Occam's Razor.
>
> I know several people who were raised speaking Revived Cornish as children.
> They still favour that language when speaking to their father, though they
> speak English with their mother, as she spoke English to them as babies.

Anecdote is no proof, and without knowing the full situation we cannot say
what is really happening there. I can counter with an anecdote of my own: a
family has settled in my neighbourhood nearly two years ago, asylum seekers
from Iran. They used to speak Persian only. Now the children speak Dutch
fluently (down to the local dialect and accent!), and *switched to speaking
Dutch to their mother as well* (she took Dutch courses), at least when their
father is not around. They only still speak Persian with their father, whose
command of Dutch is lagging behind that of the rest of the family.

Actual situations can be complex, and without a full context it is difficult
to understand how multilingualism works among children. But general
observations have shown that children will try to limit effort and language
switching to a minimum. As with everything that has to do with human
behaviour, there are outliers, but that doesn't make the general case any
less relevant.
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets.

http://www.christophoronomicon.nl/