Forgive me for fulfilling the conlang stereotype of pedantry, but I had always believed that first language meant "the foreign language one is most proficient in" and that native languages are termed "tongues", where T1 is the language you use most regularly. Hence an Iranian-British person would have:

T1: Persian
T2: English

With L1 and L2 being whatever they learnt at school

Sam (deliberately to spite Padraic)

p.s. words rule, numbers drool