On 7 September 2011 15:49, Jim Henry wrote:
> Sure, any small child will learn any human-speakable language that
> they hear spoken often enough by people around them.  But Daniel asks
> a good question; children acquire different features of their native
> languages at different rates, depending on their complexity and
> irregularity, and simplifying the phonology of a conlang to focus on
> the sound and syllable structures that children are known to acquire
> first and easiest would give them a head start, as would simplifying
> various aspects of the grammar.

Okay, fair point.
In that case - avoid consonant clusters. In my limited observation
these are the hardest for small children to pronounce.

As far as learning to read and write, make the glyphs easy to
distinguish (bear in mind not only dyslexics struggle with b,d and
p,q) and make a one to one relationship between glyph and phoneme.

Yuri de Groot