--- On Sat, 9/3/11, Koppa Dasao <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Could you people give me a
> translation of the following text in each
> of your conlang?
>
> Gamle-Erik satt på dass og skrev - skrev på skrevet til
> sin oldemor.
> «Under håret her kom det jeg kom ifra ut», skrev han
> over skrevet.
>
> I'll give you an explanation of the text in English.

Ah, quite the easy one to whet one's whistle, eh!

Let's see: Gimmel Eric (that is to say, Rich Eric) sat in the dust writing.
He wrote and he wrote some more til this old horse come up. She said:
"Look under the hare, she come up and give me a jug o the old white
lightning from under her". The hen scratched and scritched it all over
again.

Curious how these folk tales go...

> -Gamle-Erik, Old Eric, is a name used for the Devil. In
> Illomi culture
> the opposite number is Ѡелҩнеьі (Welauneqi),
> literally Mr. Speed
> kill..
> -satt = sat. In Delang ƒłесассі (frezazzi)
> -på=on. (на (na))
> -Dass..., the crapper..., a word very often used for
> toilet, WC. Only
> a minority find dass impolite. The word is said to
> originate from
> German Das Häuse. Δеѕвала (desvalka), the dump.

Interesting indeed! In my first iteration of the above "translation", I
was actually considering "Gimmel Eric sat and passed gas..." not too far
off from sitting in das hause!

> -og=and (і (i))
> -skrev.... This is the problematic word in these sentences.
> Skrev
> means both wrote, crotch and crotches. In this first case
> it means
> wrote. Fłепені (frepeni)
> -skrev once more, still meaning wrote.
> -skrevet... now skrev becomes even more complicated. Å
> skrive -
> skriver - skrev - har skrevet = to write - writes - wrote -
> written.
> Et skrev - skrevet - skrev - skrevene = a crotch - the
> crotch -
> crotches - the crotches. In this case skrev(et) means (the)
> crotch. In
> Delang the word for crotch is ƒłетер (fretex), which
> also means a
> break, a fracture or a tear. Capitalized (Fłетер) it
> means vulva.
> -til=to (ҩн- (aun-))
> -sin=his or her. The Devil being male, it's his. In Delang
> the
> appropriate pronoun is ƕамі (hami) in genitive,
> ҩнƕамі (aunhami).
> -oldemor=great-grandmother. ма тłіљ (ma trill).
> Delang uses ordinals
> to indicate genetic relationship. One's great-grandmother
> is one's
> third mother, where the first is the one that gave birth to
> you.

I like that feature much!

The Daine are very long-lived and it is not unusual for someone to have
a 7th generation or more grandparent alive. Now they typically count
second and third mothers laterally, as the sisters of one's own mother.
But it might be interesting to also count one's grandmothers, second and
so forth, back rather than sideways.

They also count siblings this way. Children born to your mother are your
"first or close" siblings; those born to another but with the same father
are "second"; those born to one's second or third mothers are "third"
siblings.

> -under=under (ѕип (sup))
> -håret=the hair (δеплим (deplum))
> -her=here. The expression 'håret her' means 'this hair'.
> In Delang the
> same expression is касеплим (kazeplum).
> -kom=came (ƒłеҩнјені (freaunjeni))
> -det usually means it, but in this case it means what. As
> 'det', it,
> refers to a female, Delang uses the feminine pronoun
> ƒамі (fami).
> -jeg=I (ас (az))
> -ifra=from (нҩнј (naunj))
> -ut=out, but this word isn't needed in English.
> -skrev is still wrote.
> -han=he. The masculine pronoun in Delang is still ƕамі
> (hami).
> -over=over or above. Like Norwegian, Delang uses a single
> word for
> both over and above, левіт (levit).
> -skrevet is still the crotch.
>
> So my translation goes as following:
> The Devil sat on the crapper and wrote - wrote on the
> crotch of his
> great-grandmother. "From under this hair came what I came
> from," he
> wrote above the crotch.
>

> In Delang:
> Ѡелҩнеьі на δеѕвелка ƒłесассі і
> ƒłепені - ƒłепені на Fłетер ҩнма
> тłіљ
> ҩнмані. «Нҩнј ѕип касеплим
> ƒłеҩнјені ƒамі ај ас ƒłеҩнјені
> нҩнј», мані
> ƒłепені левіт Fłетер.
> (Welauneqi na desvelka frezazzi i frepeni - frepeni na
> Fretex aunma
> trill aunmani. «Naunj sup kazeplum freaunjeni fami aj az
> freaunjeni
> naunj», mani frepeni levit Fretex.)
> /welɔ:neqi na desvelka fɹezazzi i fɹepe:ni/ - /fɹepe:ni
> na fɹetex
> ɔnma: tɹiɭ ɔnma:ni/. «/nɔnj sʉp kazeplʉ:m
> fɹeʔɔnjeni fa:mi aj az
> fɹeʔɔnjeni nɔnj/», /ma:ni fɹepe:ni le:vit fɹetex/.
>

> Now let me see what you can make of it.

Odd. Is this something made up or something borrowed from a folk story
somewhere?

> Koppa Dasao

Padraic