Sellamat quantims !

>Could you people give me a translation of the following text in each
>of your conlang?

En id Sambahsa version.

==
>The Devil sat on the crapper and wrote - wrote on the crotch of his
>great-grandmother. "From under this hair came what I came from," he
>wrote above the crotch.

"Is Diabel sess ep id scheissdel ed scripsit - scripsit ep id ghabel siens
promater. "Ex sub tod poums gwohm ex quod ho gwohmt," scripsit is uper id
ghabel"

Awful and disgusting !
Some explanations (those of you who already have heard of Sambahsa knows
it comes from PIE; fortunately, PIE has reconstructed vocabulary about such
body-parts !)

- Sambahsa can have an "undetermined gender", but here, I used the
masculine for the Devil, since he's supposed there to be born from a mother.
- I had no word for "crapper"... only the international
word "tualette". "Scheissdel" is from "scheiss" = "to crap" + "del" =instrumental
suffix. Sounds right, a little like "seddel" = "saddle". Since a "crapper" is a
device to be sat on, why not...
- "ghabel" actually means "fork, gable". In fact, the relation between "fork"
and "woman crotch" is attested, not only in English, but in Old Irish and maybe
Gaulish. The primeval IE word referred surely (as seen in German "(Tor)
Giebel", "Gipfel") to two crossed branches, not only on the top of trees, but on
the top of tatches too (hence German "Giebel"). By derivation, it sometimes
referred to "head" (Greek: "kephalę", Sanskrit, Indonesian : "kepala"), or to
woman's crotch (a Y-shape).
Another solution would have been to use "kaghen" (cf. Greek "kokhônę";
Sanskrit "jaghana") = "pudenda". The Sambahsa takes its inspiration from the
German name "Hagen", which may be related to the Germanic word for "hedge"
= "something bushy/hairy". According to J.Amsler, this may be a homosexual
nickname (indeed, Hagen is the only lay man who has no wife in the
Nibelungenlied)
- "pro-" is the IE 3° generation marker.
- "poums" comes directly from IE (cf. Latin "pubes").

Olivier
http://sambahsa.pbworks.com/