On 10/09/2011 06:59, Christie Pollock wrote:
[snip]

> I wouldn't necessarily say a conlang wouldn't be useful,
> especially if the vocab were mainly simplified forms of
> a natlang they are learning (and would thus also take
> less time to create).

IME that generally happens       :)
  [snip]

> m   But I've never raised a child, so feel free to
> disagree :)

I've raised three and witnessed five grandchildren being
raised - two of latter bilingually (their mother is French).

The one thing that can be said is that they are all different!

Generally the conlang is more or less a compromise between
'baby babble' and the eventual L1 - tho in the case of
bilingual children it's obviously more complicated.

But one grandchild developed a conlang which, as far as one
could tell, bore no resemblance to the L1 of his parents
(English in both cases).  For months he went around happily
chatting away in this language - and it was fairly clear it
was a language. This went on until one day, as he was
playing with a toy train lay-out, he obviously felt it
essential to communicate with his Dad and surprised him by
saying quite clearly: "I need track."

(True story - not anecdotal)

 From then on he switched to English and his earlier conlang
- which was a good deal more mellifluous than English -
quickly became obsolete.

So I'm not sure how one can meaningfully design a "baby's
first conlang" because in practice they are all so very
different    ;)

--
Ray