Arnt Richard Johansen, On 09/09/2011 16:40:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 01:47:59PM +0200, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:
>
>> I've been thinking lately about the concept of knowledge and how various
>> languages handle it.
>
> Back in the day, there was a long discussion on the Lojban mailing list over the idea that English “know” (and hence, Lojban's “djuno”, its definition being based on the English word “know”) had a hidden presupposition. If I remember correctly, the argument was that
>
>     X knows Y
>
> is equivalent to
>
>     X is convinced that Y
>     and
>     Y is, in fact, true

I believe that's standard epistemological theory: If X knows p then X believes p to be true, and p is true, and X has appropriate grounds for believing p to be true. The last clause excludes unwarranted beliefs that by mere luck happen to be true. (Those philosophically better educated than me (which in the present instance would include anybody who has taken the trouble to read the relevant wikipedia articles) may wish to correct me.)

--And.