On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 16:50, Koppa Dasao <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Oh, don't worry about the exact word in English. This is just a
> feature in Delang. In Delang it much easier to make a verb from a
> noun. As such most nouns in the dictionary already has an accompanying
> verb, or a verb can easily be inferred by grammatical rules.

The question is, can the meaning of the verb be inferred from that of
the noun? :) I don't think it's always obvious what the "obvious"
related verb is for a given noun. And also, even if a specific
derivation meaning - say, "to act in the manner of a NOUN" - were used
universally, I don't think it's obvious what would always produce the
most useful verb.

Also, can nouns be easily made from verbs? Or are nouns basic and
verbs usually derived?

I'm reminded of the rant (possibly by JBR) about how some Esperanto
stems are noun-like and some are verb-like and there's no way to see
from looking at one which it will be, you'll just have to guess. (For
example, a noun-like one might simply derive a verb meaning "to use a
NOUN" by changing the grammatical ending, while a verb-like one would
derive the noun more explicitly, with a "tool" suffix.)

Ah, yes - http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/ranto/u.html , point 3:
_kombo_, for example, is not "a comb" but "an act of combing".

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>