On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 01:15:32 -0700
David Peterson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think the whole "reading aloud" expectation thing went out with the
> early moderns (or maybe Henry James).

Since James dictated his later works, that presumably should make them
suitable for reading aloud. I've never made the experiment with him,
but I find reading aloud enhances my appreciation of the style by
slowing me down.

One of my favourite books, Alberto Manguel's History of Reading, has a
chapter "Being read to". He also describes his own experiences when, as
a teenager, he read to the blind Borges: Kipling, Stevenson, James,
Joyce, Marino, Banchs, Heine, even H. P. Lovecraft (although the latter
was usually interrupted by JLB's exasperation).