On 2011-09-22 16:18, Adam Walker wrote:

> I read Cartos de Inverno a few years back, in Galicain.
> The one thing that bothered me all the way throu was
> wondering what the differences were between L, LL and LH,
> since nh was clearly equivallant to Castilian ñ, I first
> though lh must be equivallant to Castillian ll and
> Galician was following a Portugese-esque spelling
> convention (which makes perfect sense), but then when LL
> started popping up, I realized that either the Galicians
> liked multiple options for spelling the same sounds, or
> Galician has three l-like liquids.

You startled me quite a bit there, since as you know my
Romconlang Rhodrese *has* three l-like liquids:

* _l_	= /l/ < initial and inter-vocalic Latin single L
			or LL which becomes word-final,
* _ll_	= /ɽ/ < inter˗vocalic Latin LL,
* _gl_	= /ʎ/ < Latin G'L, C'L, LJ and L/LL before Latin Ī,

and in addition

* _ao, eo, io, u_ = /aw ew iw u/ < Latin AL/OL, EL, IL, UL
   before a consonant/word-finally.

and this in addition to _r_ /ɾ/ and _rr_ /ʁ/.

This time at least it was a non-ANADEW, though there
probably does exist, or has existed, a Romnatlang
where LL became a fifth distinct liquid.

Does G'L, C'L, LJ merge with LL in Carrajan?

/bpj