On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> =====================================
> >
> > Finally, I read Plato as part of my BA degree very many
> > years ago; I was not persuaded by his theory of Forms
> > ("Ideas") then and have not been since. I cannot go along
> > with any notion that there is some 'perfect Form of English'
> > or 'perfect Form of Lojban' or indeed any other language. My
> > approach is unashamedly empirical.
>
> Same to me.  How can eternal, unchangeable Forms account for
> a universe which is characterized by variation, evolution and
> creativity?  One would have to assume an infinity of Forms
> for everything that could ever be, most of which are never
> ever manifested in the physical world.  To me, that is nonsense.

That would be nonsense, or at least pretty unlikely, but that's not the sum
total of Platonism.  In fact, Platonic forms may be more or less roughly
equivalent to universal laws, which even you empiricists admit do not change
(at least, not since the establishment of the universe).  The laws of
geometry do not change, and we can imagine that an alien with no contact
with human culture would very likely develop something quite a bit like the
Pythagorean theorem all on its own.  Yet the universe is not, on the whole,
a plane, and no triangle within the physical universe is a perfect right
triangle, so how can it be that two beings separated by lightyears could
acquire the same thought?  If the Pyth. th. is an approximation based on
empirical evidence, then how is it that two people separated in time and
space could make the same exactly approximation?

pre-order from Finishing Line
Press<http://www.finishinglinepress.com/NewReleasesandForthcomingTitles.htm>.