2011/9/22 Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]>

You live in Galicia?  Cool.

    And rainy :-)

> Galicain. The one thing that bothered me all the way throu was wondering
> what the differences were between L, LL and LH, since nh was clearly
> equivallant to Castilian ñ, I first though lh must be equivallant to
> Castillian ll and Galician was following a Portugese-esque spelling
> convention (which makes perfect sense), but then when LL started popping
> up,
> I realized that either the Galicians liked multiple options for spelling
> the
> same sounds, or Galician has three l-like liquids.

    That's because Galician itself is "sandwiched" between Castillian and
Portuguese, and there are two conflicting "schools of thought" regarding to
which it should be most similar to: the "lusistas" (the ones that proclaim
that it should be more similar to Portuguese) and the "normativos" (who
support a more latin, slightly more similar to Castillian version, which is
the official one in the government). The "real Galician" is lost between
those two extremes and the many dialectal variations.

    So, to answer your question: officially, Galician uses "ñ" and "ll"
("mariñeiro" = "sailor", "baralla" = "deck of cards"). But the lusistas
propose "nh" and "lh" instead, like in Portuguese. I think they're both
allowed in practice, but beware: using the Portuguese form subtly implies a
political affinity with the nationalist left-wing. Use with caution :-)

--
        Roberto Suárez Soto