On 17/10/2011 23:00, Michael Everson wrote:
> I have been unable to find out anything concrete about
> Brx to know whether it is interesting or not.

Of those conlangs mentioned on this list over the years
since I've been here, some are not very interesting to me
and others have grabbed my interest.  It's a somewhat
subjective thing - possibly what interests you will not be
the same as what interests me, though there may be some overlap.

But one thing we can, I think, be sure about is that *every
conlang is interesting to its individual author*.

Brx has had a long gestation. It is the latest incarnation
of my longstanding "briefscript' project; a look back in the
Conlang archives will reveal this project had its genesis
way back in the mid 1950s!

When I joined this list & the Auxlang list sometime in the
1990s, I referred to language as 'briefscript', intending
that to be "holding name" till I thought up a better one.
But on both lists others started referring to it as BrSc
(which I also adopted but continued to pronounce the
abbreviation as 'briefscript.)'

Also the scheme I had been developing came in for justified
criticism and was, accordingly, modified.  Later other
changes took place and eventually two version of the
language emerged:
- BrScA, which continued the tradition of modified
'briefscript' of the 1990s;
- BrScB, which revived an idea I had had in the late 1950s
(and well _before_ I had come across Babm) namely the use of
the Roman alphabet as a syllabary.

It became apparent, however, that the abbreviations BrSc,
BrScA and BrScB were not only awkward to type but also were
being taken a the actual names of the languages and being
given all sorts of pronunciations!      ;)

This was clearly unsatisfactory and in January 2005 the
abbreviations BrSc, BrScA and BrScB were abandoned, and in
an email to the list I wrote:
{quote}
I propose that:
1. as a generic term for both possible developments, I
revert to the term briefscript instead of BrSc;
2. the language hitherto dubbed 'BrScA' be named _bax_;
3. the language hitherto dubbed 'BrScB' be named _brx_.
{/quote}

I continued to develop _bax_, which was pronounced as
/pi'a:ši/ and anglicized as Piashi, until October 2009 when,
in an email to the list, I formally abandoned it. I was
dissatisfied with certain aspects of it, particularly the
compromises I had made over its orthography and
pronunciation and the consequent unsatisfactory rules for
vowels in hiatus.

In August 2011 it occurred to me that by adopting the
earlier BrScB scheme I could avoid these problems, and thus
Brx was revived. The name Brx, as those who follow the story
know, is actually pronounced ['puluši]     :)

As J÷rg wrote two days ago:
{quote}
It would be a pity if you died without having developed Brx
to reasonable degree of "completeness" (not that any conlang
could ever be truly complete, of course).  You have invested
so much work in it, it needs to get done before you pass away.
{/quote}

It is interesting to me and, I know, of some interest to a
few others, but may well not grab general interest.

--
Ray