On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Peter Cyrus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I think default associativity should match the order of modifier-modified,
> so that "black bird house" should default to "black (bird house)".

And of course, I immediately thought "(blackbird) house".

> But the St Martin's example is odd because prepositional phrases in English
> go on the "wrong" side of the noun they modify.  We should probably have
> postpositional phrases in front.

"Wrong side"? Whatever side a language sticks its prepositional phrases is
obviously the "right side" for that language!

And for Adam, clearly, you listen to the same (sort of) radio station I do!
At least some of the time!

Padraic

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Okay, so i finally did the required research and satified myself on this
>> question -- it is the academy which is in the fields, more or less.
>> Actually, it was (long ago) the church of St. Martin which was way out in
>> the fields between London and Westminster (now it is well within the
>> urbanized area).  So it was/is the church of St. Martin which is in the
>> fields.  The academy held its first concert in said church and took its
>> name
>> therefrom. So it is the academy which is in the church which is named for
>> St. Martin and said church is located in the no-longer-extant fields.
>>
>> Adam whose curiosity is satisfied
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]
>> >wrote:

>> in
>> > the
>> >
>> > Ah yes, unlike other famous examples such as "Last night, I shot an
>> > elephant in my pyjamas. How an elephant got into my pyjamas, I'll
>> > never know."
>> >
>> > Lots of cases where something (such as prepositional phrase) could
>> > attach at various levels to syntactic structures.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Philip
>> > --
>> > Philip Newton <[log in to unmask]>

--
a ptasconumî mîftupon-i-tlupîm; cto? hĩ-s-op’ozrcîr-i-lklamunetta dlimcso?

Why does the seeker seek? Has he lost his way?
(for seeks the maker-of-search; why? indeed the way at-lost he?)  Tcani 1.