I think Michael makes an excellent "big picture" point, which is that we should be using the single inclusive (and accurate) term "procedural sedation" regardless of the agent(s) chosen, rather than continuing to use multiple confusing (and ambiguous) terms such as "moderate sedation", "deep sedation", "conscious sedation" (the worst of all in my opinion) and even possibly "dissociative sedation".

Peter Auerbach, MD, FAAEM, FAAP
Randall Children's Hospital
Portland, OR