From: "Robert Flood" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, November 7, 2011 3:10:29 AM
Subject: Re: Appointments in the ED

Out hospital system has just announced that this service will be offered.

In addition to the concerns expressed by Ernie, I have these additional
concerns:

1) Approximately 55% of our patients are ESI Level 4 and 5. This means that
if we could figure out a way to implement this, we would have to make
available "appointments" to more than 25,000 patient visits/year.

2) Our population is approximately 70% Medicaid/Medicaid HMO. I am
concerned that "scheduling appointments" will give the states just the
excuse they need to decrease reimbursements to Hospitals for ED visits.  In
other words, why should insurance companies pay ED fees for non-emergent
patients who have "scheduled" appointments?

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts regarding the scheduling
"appointments" for pediatric patients in Emergency Departments.

Thanks,

Bob Flood
Division Director, Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center
St. Louis, MO