--- On Tue, 11/8/11, Sam Stutter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > I'm not sure why sticking your
> tongue out would help you play trombone,
> > though...
> >
> > Padraic
> >

> There's a saying among brass musicians (I've heard), which
> goes something along the lines of "Blow harder. Finger
> faster. Tongue quicker" ;-) I believe using the tongue is a
> vital part of anything above the simplest level of brass
> playing. I'm sure Peter can fill you (in) at greater
> length...

Um. I understand about tonguing. What I don't understand is about "sticking
your tongue out". Tonguing is something you do well behind your upper
teeth -- much like saying "TA". Sticking your tongue out while buzzing in
the mouthpiece will inevitably block the vibrations of the lips, which
rather defeats the whole purpose of the trombone.

Padraic