I can imagine a nomadic race where personal possessions are considered
a burden; something that needs to be cared for and carted around
wherever you go. The gift I value most highly in that society might be
for somebody to take one of my possessions from me so that I no longer
had to pack or carry it.

This might especially be true where possessions were considered
community property, but where one person is charged with the care and
transport of a given item. Thus I might _have_ the tribe's only
cooking pot, which really only means that I'm the one who is stuck
with lugging it around and taking care of it. For someone else to
relieve me of that duty by taking the cooking pot from me would be a
valuable gift indeed.

"It is your birthday friend Darfu. I will take your cooking pot from you."
"Take it with my gratitude, friend Loman, and with it the hope that it
may not be heavy for you."

--gary