Hallo conlangers!

On Saturday 19 November 2011 02:33:54 Jim Henry wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:10 AM, R A Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > I'm sure the same sort of idea must have occurred to other
> > people besides just Fuishiki Okamoto and myself. Or are/were
> > we the only two odd balls on this planet?
>
> I started planning such a system for one of my sketchlangs, but didn't
> get very far with it.  My plan was to write some amount of text in the
> language using an ad-hoc system, statistically analyze the corpus, and
> then assign the lowercase letters on the home row of the QWERTY
> keyboard to the most frequent syllables, the lowercase letters on the
> QWE

You mean ASD?

>     and ZXC rows to the next most frequent syllables, the uppercase
> letters on the home row to the next most frequent, etc.

I also once had the idea for such a syllabary, when I experimented
with an auxlang that would have only six consonants (/p t k s n l/),
three vowels (/a i u/) and a (C)V syllable structure.  That would
mean that there were only 21 possible syllables, which would allow
for using the Latin alphabet as a syllabary.  Alas, I never really
went to designing the syllabary, and soon after, I abandoned the
project.

Jeff Jones uses a syllabary composed of both upper- and lower-case
Latin letters for his conlang 'Yemls.

--
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
"BÍsel asa  m, a  m atha cvanthal a cvanth atha  mel." - SiM 1:1