Norwegian has a number of words for "laid off", 'sparken', 'oppsagt',
'avskjediget', 'fyken', 'permitert'..., I'm sure there's a few more,
but they're less used than these.
Sparken is the common name for being laid off, but it's also the word
for a vehichle used during the winter
(http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark), a kicksled. A common joke is the
employer inviting the employee to his office promising him a gift.
When the door is open a kicksled stands in the room... A modern
version is to send a picture of a kicksled in an MMS. Anyway, whatever
method of showing a kicksled, the message i clear: You're fired!

Oppsagt, avskjediget, and permitert are the official words. Oppsagt
(litt: up said) means laid off, while avskjediget means dishonorably
discharged. Permitert is a semi-laid off position. You are no longer a
paid worker, but you still got an employer. The employer still wants
you, but they just don't have any work for you at the moment.

Fyken, is an old saying.

Koppa Dasao
___
Левіѕаніҍ ҩнј зерен неьі ƒłе.