I find having two documents *is* the most optimal. I have the grammar (in Pages, but actually printed out as it doesn't change too often) and then a dictionary in Numbers. Because your language conjugates with suffixes (regularly?) a grammar and a dictionary makes sense: the dictionary requires fewer entries and so is easier to search.

Nỳspèke, for example, has a spreadsheet with four columns: Nỳspèke, Word class, English, Notes. And then of course the whole thing is searchable and sortable. Easy.

Then the grammar is divided into two parts; the core grammar which is 25 pages of noun declensions, class definitions, adjectival agreements, etc, along with all the important non-content words like conjunctions and numbers which are used so regularly as to deserve duplicating. The second part is the verb tables; the deal with Nỳspèke is the immense and lumbering verbal system which is too unfeasible to include in the main grammar.

Because everyone's conlang is so vastly different, and in many cases the two conlangs of one individual are hugely different, there isn't really much to say on templates. For Nỳspèke and Caccigga, I tend to stick to something like:

1) Phonology and alphabet
2) How nouns work
3) How adjectives work
4) How verbs work
5) Prepositions
6) Conjunctions, negators and interrogators

By now the system sort of fades out as the details of the languages becomes so dissimilar

7) Honourifics?
8) Key words?

etc

If you desperately want, I'm sure people can show you copies of their conlang grammars. I'm always happy to show off mine :)

Sam Stutter
"No e na il cu barri"