Yes, but on the other hand this is a simple (I think?) fix and a popular
extension.  And how is the reader to know what is an error and what is a
conflict?  In this case, changing the id (maybe to "msai"?) seems like a
reasonable compromise that will avoid reader frustration.  Well, this
*particular* frustration, at least.

Yrs,
Sarah

On 1/11/2012 12:01 PM, David Sewell wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012, Martin Holmes wrote:
>
>> We've figured it out: it's AdBlock.
>>
>> The id of the div is "msad", and apparently AdBlock thinks it's an ad,
>> so it hides it. If you disable AdBlock and restart your browser,
>> you'll see it.
> [...]
>> Maybe we could just change the id of that div?
>
> I don't think the TEI should be in the position of renaming metadata
> components to suit the shortcomings of imperfect software algorithms.
> And as we can't foresee which website users will be viewing page with
> which extensions enabled, I think the burden has to be on the users of
> browser extensions to be aware of the potential risks of reformatting or
> selectively deleting content served from the pages they visit.
>
> David

Sarah Wells
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
[log in to unmask]    434-924-4370 or 434-924-4527

O proud left foot, that ventures quick within
Then soon upon a backward journey lithe.
Anon, once more the gesture, then begin:
Command sinistral pedestal to writhe.
Commence thou then the fervid Hokey-Poke,
A mad gyration, hips in wanton swirl.
To spin! A wilde release from Heavens yoke.
Blessed dervish! Surely canst go, girl.
The Hoke, the poke -- banish now thy doubt
Verily, I say, 'tis what it's all about.

(Jeff Brechlin, Potomac Falls.
Stolen from the Washington Post's Style Invitational Week CLXI)