It rather seems to me that this thread is muddling the distinction
between markup and display. As John W has demonstrated, CSS can cope
with a subscripted superscript, but if it couldn't, surely that would be
an argument for refining CSS rather than shoehorning your code to
generate something that 'looks' right when processed by a system that is
sooner or later going to change radically or become completely obsolete.

John