--- On Tue, 1/24/12, Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone on this list has bound their own books,

Yep! I've used several different styles over the years from staple-n-rubber
cement to standard signature binding to full stitching and have now settled
on a variety of the Asian punch-n-weave technique that I find both easy
and aesthetically pleasing.

> and if there's a good tutorial on the Internet for an absolute
> beginner to use.

There are -- I've looked at some in the past, but just ended up doing my
own thing in the end.

>  I am going to bind a fairy tale I wrote for my wife (the tale
> includes some
> words and names in my conlang Angosey, so this is not
> entirely off topic!) and I've found the following site:
>
> http://www.diybookbinding.com/do-it-yourself-book-binding-part-2/

Yep, that's one of the sources I read!

If you like being able to take a book along to your workshop, find a copy
of the Boy Scouts Bookbinding Merit Badge handbook. Lots of good info in
there, and no fancy tools or equipment needed.

> I was wondering if anyone knows of other (possibly better)
> online tutorials.

Sure. I use a variation of this Asian stab binding:

http://kate-ward-design.blogspot.com/2011/02/asian-stab-book-binding.html

She has links to other tutorials.

I like the patterns on the red and blue books best. As you do this a
couple times, not only will you get better, but you can vary the weave
to make different patterns.

I drill holes using a wood pattern and clamp the whole book in a vise
while drilling and sewing. The pattern gives me consistency of hole
placement and the vise makes the whole thing extremely stable. The larger
hole size also allows me to use thicker threads and I can weave up and
down the book a couple times. Sturdier, especially for larger books. I've
bound books as small as 3x4in and as large as 8.5x11 and maybe 500 pages
thick this way. I use a set of old Coats and Clark large eyed needles that
can  handle very thick threads. (Well, actually, I made a book about
0.5x1in, but using a different technique!)

I think your project will look absolutely fantastic and extremely beautiful
if you use the Asian technique. The binding thread is visible on the
outside of the covers (unless you choose to cover the whole book in some
kind of cloth or paper over-cover -- I've done that too, a little harder
and a little more work). If you use different coloured threads, and threads
that are fairly thick, you'll end up with a lovely gift for missus!

Another lovely -- and *very* easy -- binding you can do is to take the
papers that will make up the book, draw a line down the middle (where
you're going to fold the book). Drill two holes right through the pages
and the cover you made (assuming you made a nice cover!). Take a nice
piece of colored cord and draw it through the holes from the inside and
tie along the spine. The trick here is *not* to just fish the string
straight through the pages *and* the cover, but to run the string through
the upper hole of the pages, then down to the bottom hole of the cover.
The other half of the string should go through the bottom hole of the
pages and then the top hole of the cover -- a criss-cross pattern. The
criss-cross provides some stability to the whole system. I think this
binding looks good with a not very heavy leather cover.

Let us know how it comes out, and good luck!

Padraic