On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 3:18 AM, David McCann <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 18:52:14 -0800
> Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > --- On Tue, 1/24/12, Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > > "He self-regulated himself."
> > > To my grammatical sense, the sentence would normally be "He
> > > self-regulated."
>
> > Interesting. For me, it should be "he regulated himself". Because
> > self- regulating, like self-cleaning, etc aren't really verbs. For
> > me, there's no "the oven self-cleaned". The oven cleaned itself.
>
> I've just consulted the SODE (2002). The introduction to self- only
> mentions it as a prefix to nouns and adjectives: self-advocacy,
> self-cleaning, self-destroyed. The listed examples do include a
> verb: self-actualise as a term in psychology. To me such verbs sound
> like un-English jargon created by those lacking in Sprachgefühl.

Self-destruct has been used as a verb for decades.  I can't say for sure
how long other self-verbs have been around but that one's been in use for
at least half a century.  SODE missed a bit, I'd say.

> OT. Another example of this sort of thing is the creation of
> organisational titles like "Team GB" instead of "The British Olympic
> Team". Since when has English put its adjectives after the noun? And
> what's wrong with a normal adjective like "British"?

That's Twilight-speak.  At least I associate the Team X phenom with the
whole Team Edward/Team Jacob blah-blah.  I don't recall ever hearing it
before that.  Teenage popculture is invasive and almost guaranteed to
spread, at least temporarily.

Adam