It's been so long since I tested anyone under age 3 that I can't remember.
Rheumatic fever is rare enough and I don't know of any cases under age 3.

Taj Madiwale, MD

Univ of Tennessee

TC Thompson Children's Hospital

> Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 18:03:46 -0700
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Rapid Strep Test < 2 years old
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Our PA/NPs are swabbing a lot of kids < 1-2 years old with the rapid strep
test and they're coming back positive. One of our PAs is claiming that he's
had 5-10 positives in the past 2 months. It seems pretty unusual for strep
pharyngitis to be present in a child < 2 years old (from what I recall).

> Any thoughts? Is the disease profile changing? They're all carriers?
>
> Thanks,
> Fred

message: info PED-EM-L
> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: