Sarah Long, the esteemed Infectious Disease doc, told me many years ago that
strep is merely a disease of crowding.  Therefore, when children didn't
crowd together much before the advent of daycare, they didn't get sick w
strep much until starting school.  If children are enrolled in daycare,
there's no reason why they can't get strep throat.

James Reingold, M.D.

Cardon Children's Hospital

Mesa, AZ

> Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 18:03:46 -0700
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Rapid Strep Test < 2 years old
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Our PA/NPs are swabbing a lot of kids < 1-2 years old with the rapid strep
test and they're coming back positive. One of our PAs is claiming that he's
had 5-10 positives in the past 2 months. It seems pretty unusual for strep
pharyngitis to be present in a child < 2 years old (from what I recall).

> Any thoughts? Is the disease profile changing? They're all carriers?
>
> Thanks,
> Fred

message: info PED-EM-L
> The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
> http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html

The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with
Hotmail.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multiaccount&ocid=PID283
26::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4