From: "Mittal, Manoj K" <[log in to unmask]>
>How about adults with sore throat? Do the EM physicians in the group test
them for Strept. and treat with antibiotics if positive?

--> I have not been following the thread, so I hope this answer fits here...

We do not test ED patients for strep.

It is rare for us to see patients presenting with "sore throat". There are
many things civi's here DON'T know are primary care, but this one they seem
to understand...

When we do see the occasional one (which is not a quinsy or something else)
and diagnose a throat infection, we tend to treat with antibiotics any which
show purulent exudate.

The rest we advise to review with their GP after 48hrs of symptomatic
treatment, which they should get over-the-counter.

The 1st line antibiotic we do use when we treat is Penicillin V.

I have not looked at this for a while. Does anyone out there have good
evidence for me to read on the benefit of testing? I would appreciate it.
Honestly have not had any experience with testing for as long as I can
remember - wouldn't know HOW to test...

http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/
message: info PED-EM-L
The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: