From: Nancy Piotrowski <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, Feb 18, 2012 13:58:44 EST
Subject: EHR

Our institution will be converting to an electronic health record this
fall.  I have some concerns regarding the triage process.  The
registration process must be completed prior to the RN having access to
the patient document.  If multiple patients are registered but not yet
triaged how do you ensure critical patients are not sent to the waiting
room until their turn to be assessed by the nurse?

I've been told
 by a couple of other institutions that they've resorted to giving the
registration personnel a list of chief complaints that they are to alert
 the nurse to.  This seems like an absurd work around for getting the
right patient to the right place at the right time.  Not to mention a
huge liability for the hospital.

Any comments or suggestions?

Nancy Piotrowski

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: