OK, I've stayed out of this, in part because I agreed with Kevin Powell's
comments and didn't want to be redundant, but seriously?  When I start to
feel streppy because some kid I did a strep test on coughs in my face, I
am thrilled when the swab they do at employee health comes back positive.
Thanks to the wonders of post-1943 medicine, I know I'll be feeling better
in 12 hours and don't need to try to swap my shift the next day, know I
will be productive again, know I can manage my own contagion.  And of
course I take antibiotics!

I do lots of pain drops for viral otitis, and am scrupulously parsimonious
even when parents of adenoviral children wail and get in my face.  I swab
children less than three years once or twice a year, I quote the red book,
and even when they have exudates and a positive family contact if the
rapid is negative, too bad: no antibiotics for you.  But in the face of a
positive bacterial contagion, the "high likelihood" of an adverse reaction
doesn't stop me from gratefully getting treatment myself; bacterial
illness is what antibiotics are for.  I fight the good fight against
antibiotics for viral illnesses on a daily basis, but good heavens, if I
have strep, DELUGE me, and that goes double for the patients who entrust
their time, health, comfort, and money in me.

Double penicillin latte for me, please.

-Amy

Fergus Thornton <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>"Primum non nocere"
>
>Giving a course of Ab with a high likelihood of an adverse reaction for
><24hr sooner relief
>violates this.  Many of you seem to be looking at this from the
>perspective of one child (yours!) but multiply this by 10,000/day to get
>a sense of the unnecessary antibiotics given in the US daily. This is
>difficult to justify.  I'm sorry your kid has one extra day of a sore
>throat but really . . . . is it worth deluging the world with more
>antibiotics?

Amy Baxter MD
Pediatric Emergency Medicine Associates
404 371-1190