I recall earlier studies that looked at the effect of antibiotic treatment (with pcn) on SYMPTOMS. They appeared to show that early antibiotics treatment will shorten the symptoms of strep phayngitis by 24 hours.
To working parents who unlike most of us do not get paid if they don't go to work this could be a very important reason to have their child cultured and treated.
 for a start see
. Bass  JW.  Treatment of streptococcal pharyngitis revisited.  JAMA.  1986;256:740–3

Giora (Gill) Winnik

-----Original Message-----
From: CARTOONTIE <[log in to unmask]>
To: PED-EM-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wed, Feb 22, 2012 8:00 pm
Subject: Re: question about strep

My youngest patient was 10 month old with scarlet fever. He had 3 older
siblings with culture + strep at the time. I saw it 21 years ago. What I tell
residents is, there is always the exception to the rule, and if you put an
infant into a petri dish and incubate with strep (3 older sibs) he might
get  sick.

On the other side, how many times have we all seen the local doc who
treats a 10 month old with a "red throat" and fever with antibiotics and no
confirmatory strep test? (no urine either, of course).

Elliott Friedman
NY

For more information, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the message:
info PED-EM-L
The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is:
                 http://listserv.brown.edu/ped-em-l.html